[Discuss-sudbury-model] accessibility and affordability

From: Vicki L Parnell <vicki_at_parnell.ca>
Date: Wed Apr 21 09:50:01 2004

Hi everyone

I haven't posted before so here's a quick introduction before I ask my question. My
name is Vicki and I have an eight year old currently enrolled in a school that could
be described as "based on the Sudbury model".

Anyway, here is my question.. The school my child is enrolled in has a "pay what
you can" policy and no family is turned away if they can't pay full tuition. This has
made it possible for families of all income levels to take advantage of this
educational approach. In reality the school is experiencing severe financial strain at
the moment due to not bringing in enough tuition income to meet basic expenses.
The only other option seems to be to insist that all families pay the full tuition rate,
as other private schools in the area do. However, this would mean turning some
kids away who could really benefit from the Sudbury model. (Heck, what kid
couldn't???)

I'm wondering how other Sudbury model schools have approached this issue. Is
there a "happy medium"? For schools who have chosen not to turn away lower
income families is there a way to make this work while still bringing in enough
money to run the school?

Thanks,

Vicki
vicki_at_parnell.ca