[Discuss-sudbury-model] Tennis anyone? (Or, let's get practical)

From: Sally Rosloff <sallyr_at_socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue Apr 20 20:50:00 2004

The group that met this weekend to begin talk of a new school included a 14
year old boy who is a very good tennis player. I had introduced free
democratic school ideas and he wasn't yet accepting them, saying that well
if he didn't have to go classes all he would do would play tennis and sit
around all day (and this is a child who was homeschooled until 6th grade
with a lot of freedom). To which my 18 year old son replied Well, why
don't you? And a 15 year old boy told him about a time when he was
watching TV and was bored and his eye caught a yoga book which he flipped
through and then began reading it and turned off the TV and got really
interested in yoga. Yay! I felt that little discussion was the crux of
the meeting.

Anyway, today I was talking more about it with my husband and we were
thinking, okay say this group was a free school and this boy really did
want to play tennis a great majority of the time. How would that be
arranged? I'm not at all sure we would have a place to play tennis, so
would he be off somewhere else most of the time and then not being able to
be with his friends? And that brought us back to the issue of living in
the Los Angeles area and what that means in terms of property and land
available and then what that means in terms of opportunities and just how
the space and setting of the school contribute to what happens. Not that
I'm at all suggesting we need the world but I think space is a factor in
how folks can hang out and mix and try things out. I'm wondering how many
free schools are in urban or congested environments and how that is working
out.

Sally