RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Values?

From: Sally Rosloff <sallyr_at_socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue Apr 20 00:52:01 2004

Alan,
Had a busy week! Thanks for your reply. I am feeling my way around on
learning about this stuff and it's sometimes hard to pose a question to get
at what I'm really chewing on.

I see why my question might have been misleading. What I think I'm still
working through are the possible nuances between impose and expose. I
certainly know what it means to impose but from some of the exchanges
around here I get the impression that what I might consider to be exposing,
some might consider imposing. So.

I just read "Making It Up As We Go Along" about the Albany Free School and
am thinking about differences...they seem to talk more about working with
emotional difficulties, about feelings and about having built a community
around the school.

Also, I've been talking about the free, democratic school model with some
folks who want to start a new school and one of their questions had to do
with temperament types as in the Myers-Briggs model. This person was
wondering about different types needing different things, and that it might
be harder for some people to start from nothing so to speak, that perhaps
they do better with some things to choose from. I get a bit confused that
free schools, if they offer anything, seem to offer art and music and
perhaps cooking, but why those over other things? Ugh, I'm having trouble
writing this. Is my question making sense?
Sally