[Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Discuss-sudbury-model digest, Vol 1 #160 - 3 msgs

From: wmvh <vivalaarte_at_excite.com>
Date: Sun Apr 18 10:56:01 2004

Thanks Myra: I became interested in alternative schools early. After some problems in junior high school my brother sent me the books Summerhill and Leonard's Education and Ecstasy. As someone mentioned earlier in this forum, reading Leonard's description of a school brought tears to my eyes. It still does. I feel a betrayal and a sense of missing out on something because I attended normal public schools. I still feel that I was cheated in my schooling.

I had the luck of attending a newly formed (1972) alternative school in my senior year, and though it wasn't a democratic school, it did allow me a lot of freedom to choose what and how I wanted to study. There was also an informal atmosphere about the place, including the relationship between teachers and students. I credit this school with showing me that learning can be a positive pursuit. Throughout college I always spent most of my energy on those subjects that fascinated me, and played the game in those that were less interesting. There were always some professors who could communicate their passion for their subjects.

I became aware of Sudbury through reading a book by Daniel Greenburg which was part of a reading list in an education class (another inspired teacher). My desire for a SUdbury-type school is selfish. The institional nature of the teacher-student relationship in public schools is also stifling to the teacher. It limits the teacher's development by limiting the student's expression.

I would be happy to write to you of my other journeys outside of this forum, by personal email, if it is ok with you. I'd be interested in hearing of your experiences in working within the school system.

William Van Horn
http://inmystudio.net