Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Discuss-sudbury-model digest, Vol1 #157 - 7 msgs

From: Carol Hughes <hughes0005_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat Apr 17 11:30:00 2004

Kristina,

I'm sure that your students are aware of the difference in your attitude and
that you are making a difference. I asked a six year old piano and voice
student of mine how school was going this week. He said... rather sadly
o...kay. I said what's up. He said, I can't talk to my friends at school
and I'm bored a lot. I want to learn more math but they won't let me. He's
in the Sudbury, MA public school system which is supposed to be awesome.
He's very bright. In fact he's getting a kick out of learning the words to
the Major General song in the Pirates of Penzance. The vocabulary in that
piece has challenged my own knowledge. Other students let out huge sighs
when looking at a new page of music. That looks hard they say. Five
minutes later they are playing it. But what breaks my heart is that they
are so stressed out by not knowing. I tell them that a musician is always
working on music they don't know yet and how great it is that there are
endless pieces of music to learn. I always let my students tell me if they
like a page or not in their lesson books (which I only use for the first
level after that it's pieces of music from all over). One student insisted
that I reassure them that it was okay to skip a page in the book. I tell
them are no piano music police and trust me I know how to teach you to play
the piano. But oh the smiles when they start playing something they enjoy.
After a while my students give me hugs... uh oh, that's probably not allowed
too much now. Nevermind, if mom's there smiling it's probably okay. I
explain to my students over and over that joy is essential to making music.
Of course, joy is essential for learning any darn thing. George Leonard
said in his book 'Education and Ecstasy' that he only remembers the things
he learned in ecstasy. Works for me. If you think of it, I'm willing to
bet that certain teachers in your past made a huge difference for you in
capturing the joy and energy of creativity. All that said, I couldn't agree
with you more. We need more and more and more Sudbury schools. I wish you
could see the kind of people my children became while growing up and
"becoming" at a Sudbury school.

Recently, I visited the house I lived in as a child. There were ten-twelve
foot high rocks in the back yard. As I looked at those rocks I remember
standing on them and singing by the hour to my imaginary audiences who
adored me. I suddenly had a thought that the rocks had taught me to sing.
I was age 3-9 at that house and didn't have any piano or voice lessons til I
was 16. The children at Sudbury Valley School have many hours to spend on
rocks and many of them do. There's the beech tree "classroom" also.
Uninterupted time is essential for the spirit of a person to come through.
My wish is for a world where all people have the time for their art. It's
the best reason for living as far as I can tell - creativity.
Okay, I'll get off my bandbox now,
Regards,
Carol

> > I understand your predicament Myra. I am also 49, just beginning a life
long
> > dream to be an art teacher. (excuse that term). And I will be working in
> > public middle school. I have been working there the last 2 years as an
AIde