Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Orgnizing Sudbury

From: Scott David Gray <sgray_at_sudval.org>
Date: Fri Apr 16 20:30:00 2004

Yes, the whole situation was very sad.

The bulk of people at Red Cedar wanted to stay a Sudbury
School. But no Sudbury School -- no school -- can exist for
very long without a reasonable number of students.

Red Cedar wrestled with the problem for a long time. They
decided they could attract a larger parent base if they
became a standard 'progressive' school.

The school as a whole wasn't happy with the decision, but
most people involved realized that the only alternative was
simply to close the school, and then go off as individuals
looking for the least bad alternative around for their own
kids.

Some people (staff and students) left the school when it
changed, of course. But my understanding is that once the
school decided to use coercion, they were able to attract
more parents in the area.

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray_at_sudval.org