[Discuss-sudbury-model] Re:organizing Sudbury

From: <reb_at_philadelphiafreeschool.org>
Date: Sat Apr 10 18:32:00 2004

Since Sudbury schools are each self-governing communities, it would seem a
certain amount of variation is to be expected. Not unrelated to this
variation, is the difficulty of defining at what point a school ceases to
be a "Sudbury school," and begins to be something else.

I can say that the Albany Free School serves a very urban and
substantially poorer demographic than most of the (8 or 9) Sudbury schools
I've visited. The Blue Mountain School, Oregon, is likely an exception.
Perhaps more significantly, the Albany Free School's program ends with the
eighth grade.

If Red Cedar has evolved (or devolved) to the point where it is
distinguishable from a "Sudbury school," the Circle School, in
Pennsylvania is an example of a school that became "Sudbury" some time
after they opened.

-Reb Murphy

www.philadelphiafreeschool.org