Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Orgnizing Sudbury

From: Sally Rosloff <sallyr_at_socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat Apr 10 15:50:01 2004

>ORGANIZING SUDBURY
>-----------------------------------=
>Bill Richardson

Bill,
Thanks for the beautiful word picture of awakening to a different
worldview. I have done no where near the research you did but find myself
undergoing a similar eye opening, and soul awakening, shift. I am in the
midst of it and don't yet know where it will lead me but if feels
significant. Forgive my ignorance, but are you working on opening a
Sudbury school? I wasn't sure from your post if you are organizing one in
Tucson. I don't see it on the links pages.

On a related, but more nut and bolts, issue I am wondering about:
What is the primary difference between the Albany Free School and Sudbury,
and what is the significance of those differences? I'm reading about
Albany and so far it seems that although there is the democratic School
Meeting process I'm not sure it applies to the entire running of the
school. Also, there seems to be more emphasis on explicit awareness of
compassion and feelings, such as calling an immediate school meeting to
work through a behavior problem or planning events for Martin Luther King Day.

Also, I notice from the Red Cedar School website that they are now having
course requirements and written evaluations and I'm wondering about whether
they were a Sudbury model and if so, what happened to change that.

Thanks!
Sally