Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Rightwing SVS's?

From: <one38_at_one38.org>
Date: Sun Apr 4 20:45:00 2004

> I've heard theres a book called "Dumbing Down Our Kids" that is a
> conservative look at how public schools have failed--does anyone know what
> the criteria of this position is? Or how conservatives react to sudbury
> model schools?

I think the conservatives are more interested in home schooling than they
are in alternative education systems in general. Every home schooled child
I've met has been home schooled by Fundamentalist Christian parents who
object to things such as evolution being taught in schools (or not
appropriately countered with the uber-scientific "Genesis Theory") all the
way down to shock and horror over sex ed programs. One guy I worked with
didn't like that public education encouraged his kids to question
authority.

The other argument I've heard from Conservatives are arguments such as,
"They give a kid an A so he doesn't feel bad about himself but then he
can't read, so how does he feel about himself when he gets into the REAL
WORLD?"

But this might be interesting to you:

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2004/032004/03292004/1286100

This paragraph pretty much nails why lefties and christian fundamentalists
*almost* agree. One of these things/ is not like the other:

"Kristi Lisech knew she wanted to home-school her children before they
were even born. The Stafford County resident, who majored in education,
said she remembered telling professors in college that one-on-one teaching
was more effective than a group setting. Parents can customize their
children's education based on their individual needs, she told her
teachers. In addition, home-schooling would allow Lisech the ability to
pass along her Christian faith to her children in a school setting, she
said."

-e.