RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Rightwing SVS's?

From: Alan Klein <alan_at_klein.net>
Date: Sun Apr 4 11:20:00 2004

When my older daughter was about to enter Hampshire College a haven of
ultra-liberalism in Amherst, Massachusetts, in which kids basically
create their own undergraduate program, I asked a professor and some
students if there were any conservatives there. One student said she
considered herself to be a conservative, but that there were not many
there. She did say she felt supported.

I think that it is interesting that the founders of SVS attempted to
portray the school as living out traditional, American political values,
which are usually seen to be associated with "conservatives". They
thought that it would sweep the nation once people realized how clearly
the school embodied truly American values and practices!

~Alan Klein