[Discuss-sudbury-model] Rightwing SVS's?

From: Tay Arrow Sherman <spiregrain_at_mad.scientist.com>
Date: Sun Apr 4 03:27:01 2004

Hi guys!

I was wondering...

Has anyone read books which are anti-public school and which you would consider conservative or right wing? Do you think that the Sudbury model is a particularly liberal/leftist system? If so, is there a Sudbury-model option for the politically conservative? Going to SVS, and being a New Englander, I never met many--any--conservatives or republicans. Yet at the same time it--the sudbury model--all seems very "small government"--to be anti-public school (reducing government size via non-interference with education) and to not have a structure/curriculum for things to go by. I've heard theres a book called "Dumbing Down Our Kids" that is a conservative look at how public schools have failed--does anyone know what the criteria of this position is? Or how conservatives react to sudbury model schools?

It seems to me that the people most likely to oppose a sudbury model school are actually moderates, who think that almost everything in this country, (public schools included), is just dandy. I heard teachers in the public school I attended before SVS refer to it as a place where "kids are just hanging out the windows" (I really like that image!) but my conservative acquaintance at work, who was homeschooled, is kind of my ally against the system we're working for (we score 8th grade standardized writing tests, ultragross).

On a vaguely related note, have people seen the "academic bill of rights" being pushed at universities by David Horowitz, demanding that the "liberal hiring bias" be eliminated from university policy? Good grief. As if.

-Tay Arrow Sherman

--
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm