RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model]

From: Scott David Gray <sgray_at_sudval.org>
Date: Wed Mar 31 14:09:00 2004

I have often looked back at my life, certain that it would
be a less happy one had I not attended SVS. Of course this
is subjective -- I can't prove what would / could have been.
But I know that I am not the only SVS alumnus who looks back
at the path he was on in traditional school (self-hatred,
boredom which was blamed on the self rather than the
restraints around, total disrespect) and thinks that SVS
almost certainly saved him from a life of crime,
mind-altering addictions, and bitterness.

On the more positive side... Other alumni who've gone on to
college and I have talked about that experience. For each of
us, we clearly found college easier than our contemporaries
from traditional school (not that college matters, but hey).
I think that there are two reasons. First, each of us
watched our peers swimming waiting to be told when/how to
get their readings / papers / etcetera done -- while each of
us were used to being responsible for ourselves and
therefore not waiting to be handheld. Second, each of us was
able to take college with a sense of humor -- we all knew
that the grades and tests were meaningless -- only games to
be played or ignored, rather than things over which to tear
ourselves apart. These experiences in college also seem to
be mirrored by alumni who've gone on to various professions
-- that they had a better sense of what was / wasn't
important, and took charge of their needs themselves.

Any disadvantages? Again, there's a problem trying to
imagine what could have / would have been. But I guess that
there is one disadvantage. Given the innate disrespect in
which children are held in our wider culture, I know that I
am not the only alumnus of the school who has lost friends
in the wider community because we were unwilling to tolerate
injustice. This actually tends to extend beyond injustice
to kids -- SVS alumni tend to look with horror on injustice
of all sorts, and so are much less prone to shrug and say
'that's life' -- as such, SVS alumni are prone to have more
people who deeply like and respect them, but also more
people who disrespect them and think of them as arrogant or
foreward because SVS alumni are generally more willing to
'shake things up.'