Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] government type school graduates who fail

From: Ann Ide <ann.ide_at_rcn.com>
Date: Tue Mar 30 10:59:00 2004

What a great response! I don't know the demographics; but I would also
assume that there will always be people who turn out "good" and people who
turn out "bad" in every school imaginable. The question to ask is, what is
"good" to you ( or the person attending, once they are born, that is :) ) ?

As a parent of SVS children, I often catch myself comparing my kids to other
traditionally educated kids, and then drifting into traditional doubts and
fears. It is a challenge, being against the norm, to keep reminding myself
of what we value for our kids and what is more likely to help them in that
direction. " Do they miss out on anything they really need ?" Well, what
do you think they need ? That's the place to begin. For me, reading
Sudbury Valley books really helped to clarify my thinking on what really is
needed that traditional schooling doesn't allow for. It's very different.
You have to stop caring that your kids will turn out like everybody else;
and care about letting them turn into what is right for their happiness and
fulfillment in life.

There has been a more current study on graduates going on for the past few
years now. In spite of my strong beliefs, it will be really nice to reveiw
some follow-up studies. It would be great to have some grounding for our
claims.

Ann Ide