Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Encouragement

From: Sally Rosloff <sallyr_at_socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed Mar 17 22:07:00 2004

Jeff and Alan,
Thanks for the examples and replies. Your two posts helped me with my
thought process and I think we basically agree. I'm getting more and more
the sense that so much is in the living that it is hard to describe in a
more abstract sense.

I was thinking of examples of encouragement where it would truly be where
you have seen a student be able to do something but then back off from
worry or fear (such as continuing on to a perform in a play after
rehearsal), or where you have a good sense from knowing them how they would
be able to do something and from that point comes in the art of taking any
further steps. I do get that their process is their process and that
hopefully through a truly respectful supportive relationship encouragement
might arise in a noncoercive way.

Thanks for your input.
Sally