[Discuss-sudbury-model] Encouragement (was Reading) (was:Re: Lack of interest?)

From: Sally Rosloff <sallyr_at_socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed Mar 17 00:42:01 2004

At 09:38 PM 3/16/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Let's not waste time on a straw man argument here. Nobody I know can
>remember a long-term student at a Sudbury School ever graduating not
>knowing how to read.
>
>Maybe we can come up with another subject that can be more reasonably
>argued to be lacking in Sudbury grads, 'cause reading sure ain't it.

Joe,
Okay.

So, I'm still wondering about the encouragement thing. I think I
understand your viewpoint Carol about the lack of fear in Sudbury
students...I'm working on it and from reading the posts I'm getting the
idea that the culture/environment that is created with this model is very
powerful and creates room for alternatives that are hard to imagine coming
from outside it...thus the kinds of questions those of us outside it ask.

I could use some more comments on the example I gave about hiking to help
me keep working this through and understanding it.

Thanks!
Sally