Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Lack of interest?

From: Mike Sadofsky <sadofsky_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue Mar 16 10:10:00 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:36:36 -0500, "Alan Klein" <alan_at_klein.net>
wrote:

>Mike,
>
>You say that at SVS "(staff) need to represent the school to the outside
>world. They need to see to the school's maintenance and its cleanliness.
>They need to sit in school meeting and in judicial committee and contribute
>to the debate and decision making as mature adults."
>
>Is this always the way it's been at SVS? For example, I seem to recall from
>conversations with Peter and Scott David Gray 18 years ago that school
>cleaning was seen as a School Meeting concern, not just a staff concern.

Thanks Alan, I guess I overstate a bit in responding to Sally. What I
am saying is that staff are hired to be responsible people and thus to
see to the welfare of the school. Students don't have that inherent
responsibility. Yes, the operation and maintenance of the school is
indeed a "School Meeting" function. No other entity has that charge.

>Also, are you saying that staff are required to attend School Meeting and
>that they are required to act in a mature way (whatever that means)?

No, staff are not "required" to attend School Meeting. But, I assume
that most parents expect that they do so and, as a former parent and
current officer (of the Assembly) and trustee, I expect them to
generally participate in school meeting and to act in a mature and
responsible manner. The reality of our society is such that I can't
imagine the school being able to maintain itself in the community
without mature people having a role in the day to day decisions of the
school (i.e. those that occur in and under the purview of the school
meeting).

>Thanks,
>~Alan Klein

Hope this clarifies a bit.