Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Lack of interest?

From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun Mar 14 17:53:01 2004

On Sunday, March 14, 2004, at 04:32 PM, Sally Rosloff wrote:

> I also have the same question about a true learning disability. I
> agree that most so-called disabilities are probably artifacts of the
> situation, but there are actual learning disabilities in some cases.
> Say there was one for reading. If a child attempts reading many times
> and stops from an apparent lack of interest but there is actually a
> processing difficulty so that by 13 reading isn't really happening
> would someone pay attention to that and intervene to assess that in
> some way?

Yes, this happens. But reading is not altogether necessary to have a
good life, even a VERY good life. Do stunt drivers read? Do
snowboarders read? Do skydivers read? If so, it must be very little, or
so it would seem. But who can doubt that they enjoy themselves hugely,
probably much more than lawyers and librarians?

Cheers,

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/AllMyFiles.html>