[Discuss-sudbury-model] "When it comes to education of our children . . . failure is not an option"

From: David Rovner <rovners_at_netvision.net.il>
Date: Mon Feb 23 20:38:00 2004

Amazing !! -- compare this with democratic schools.

"When it comes to education of our children . . . failure is not an option"

[President Proposes Record $57B for 2005 Education Budget]

President Bush's education "historic" reform law.
http://www.ed.gov/nclb/overview/tenfacts/index.html
On January 8, 2002, when the No Child Left Behind Act became the law of the land, we began a new era of education in our nation's history.

No Child Left Behind puts the focus on instruction and methods that have been proven to work.

The No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (No Child Left Behind) is a landmark in education reform designed to improve student achievement and change the culture of America's schools.

for instance:
When are children eligible for school choice?
http://www.ed.gov/parents/schools/choice/choice.html

Children are eligible for school choice when the Title I school they attend has not made adequate yearly progress in improving student achievement--- as defined by the state--for two consecutive years or longer and is therefore identified as needing improvement, corrective action or restructuring. Any child attending such a school must be offered the option of transferring to a public school in the district--including a public charter school--not identified for school improvement, unless such an option is prohibited by state law. No Child Left Behind requires that priority in providing school choice be given to the lowest achieving children from low-income families. As of the 2002-03 school year, school choice is available to students enrolled in schools that have been identified as needing improvement under the ESEA as the statute existed prior to the enactment of No Child Left Behind.
In addition, children are eligible for school choice when they attend any "persistently dangerous school," as defined by the individual state. Any child who has been the victim of a violent crime on the grounds of his or her school is also eligible for school choice.

see:
Questions and Answers on No Child Left Behind
http://www.ed.gov/nclb/overview/faqs/index.html

~ David