Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Archives, list rules

From: <Dannyasher_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri Dec 19 20:15:01 2003

In a message dated 12/19/2003 2:17:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
JerryAERO_at_aol.com writes:
That's why we don't have an archive on one of our most sensitive listserves,
the IDEC (International Democratic Education Conference) list. It has people
all over the world, including in some areas in which they could potentially
come under attack for something that someone posted.

Jerry Mintz
Alternative Education Resource Organization
www.educationrevolution.org
That's a bizarre piece of reasoning. Once someone posts on IDEC or any other
list, the post can be stored and/or archived anywhere in the world, without
the knowledge of the system administrator of the list or of the one who posted
in the first place. Once you've gone public with a post, you've gone public,
and laid yourself open to attack (if it's attacks that you fear). As my
father always said, never put anything in writing that you don't want to appear on
the front page of the New York Times!
    The main losers when a list such as IDEC is not archived are subscribers
who would like to review some interesting past thread, and no longer have
access to it.
    Dan Greenberg, Sudbury Valley School