[Discuss-sudbury-model] Principal Certification?

From: Peter Keleher <kelehepe_at_gse.harvard.edu>
Date: Tue Dec 2 22:14:00 2003

I began to learn about the Sudbury Valley School right as I began a graduate program in education.
The time I spent at SVS transformed my thinking on education and I no longer see working in a
traditional setting. I would like to one day actively support a Sudbury School.

My spouse and I are approaching this transition collaboratively; one of us thinks completing the
requirements for public school principal certification might give me additional credibility for
the day that I am involved in a new Sudbury school and am trying to give parents and students
confidence that this new school will be a good place for the student. The other one of us thinks
that the educational approaches of Sudbury and traditional schools are too distinct for a
principal certification to be helpful or to add credibility. I have spoken with some people at
SVS about this and would also like to turn to those of you who have thoughts on the subject to
hear your views in hopes that this might help us the resolve our gridlock. Thank you very much
for your time.

Peter