Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] democratically run universities?

From: Kenneth Winchenbach Walden <kenhww_at_meadowdance.org>
Date: Mon Nov 24 15:14:00 2003

On 24 Nov 2003 at 22:02, David Rovner wrote:

> Hi Ken,
> Do we take it for granted it's a democratically run college ?
> What is a democratically run college ?
> Do they have freedom of learning ?
> What is "freedom of learning" ?
> Marlboro College seeks students, or, students seek Marlboro College ?

I declared it a democratic college because my understanding is that it is governed
through democratic processes. I went there a short time and know that the school is
run through a school meeting, including all students, teachers and other staff, with
each member having one vote and following some sort of rules of order for the
meetings. It's possible that there is some flaw in the system which might render it
undemocratic by some definition, but as far as I am aware, the school is governed by
a democratic process, as well as allowing all students to design their curriculum,
major and degree.

Ken Walden