Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] democratically run universities?

From: David Rovner <rovners_at_netvision.net.il>
Date: Mon Nov 24 15:02:00 2003

Hi Ken,
Do we take it for granted it's a democratically run college ?
What is a democratically run college ?
Do they have freedom of learning ?
What is "freedom of learning" ?
Marlboro College seeks students, or, students seek Marlboro College ?

 . . . Students are encouraged . . .
Is that democratic ?

~ David
------------------------------------
Marlboro College
Philosophy
http://www.marlboro.edu/about/philosophy.html
Marlboro College seeks students with intellectual promise, a high degree of
motivation, self-discipline, personal stability, social concern and the
ability and desire to contribute to the college community. We wish to
attract to this community of scholars independent thinkers and those with a
passion for learning. Marlboro College's mission is to help students think
clearly, learn independently, strive for academic excellence and take part
in a community that values democratic participation. A Marlboro educational
experience comprises the following factors:

Students in the first two years are encouraged to study broadly in the arts,
humanities, sciences and social sciences. They are required to demonstrate
that they can write clearly, concisely, and correctly in a portfolio of work
that is reviewed by faculty members;

Juniors and seniors work with one or more faculty sponsors to plan a course
of study based on their academic interests.

Working closely with their professors, students then carry out their Plans
of Concentration through individual instruction, course work, and
independent research and study. The Plan culminates in a coherent set of
projects and papers, evaluated in an oral examination;

Students are encouraged to develop a global perspective: 43 percent of
recent graduates have studied abroad, through the college's World Studies
Program and other international offerings;

Students, faculty and staff meet regularly in Town Meeting to determine
campus regulations, consider funding requests and discuss broader issues
facing the College.