Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] New presentation

From: Mimsy Sadofsky <mimsys_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat Nov 22 16:55:50 2003

Bernard,

It is not surprising that translating the texts is very difficult.
There is not just the language issue, which I think is not so
difficult, but the TWO cultural issues. The smaller one is that you
are in France and we are in America. That is by far smaller than the
fact that a Sudbury school is a whole set of cultural constructs all
on its own that are difficult (although far from impossible, so don't
give up!) to understand. It is the set of them together that one has
to get a handle on before one feels that one understands the model.

I think you should have all of our books, but I would start with
Reflections on the Sudbury School Model and Sudbury valley School
Experience. After that, ask me again! The texts on the internet are
meant to be only a taste, and they are; they cannot explain fully in a
few pages about which many books have been written. Also, if I were
you, I would subscribe to the School's Journal. There was an article
published recently, The Tapestry of Themes that Make up the Sudbury
Model (sorry; that title is paraphrased, and is not exact) that you
should have, but more, you should have things as they appear and try
to get a fuller picture if you are really going to start a similar
school.

Mimsy