[Discuss-sudbury-model] democratically run universities?

From: Martin Wilke <martin.wilke_at_gmx.net>
Date: Fri Nov 21 17:11:00 2003

Hi everybody,

Does anybody know of any universities or colleges that are run
democratically (one person - one vote)?
(I suppose this question has been asked here before, but I didn't find
an answer quickly.)

In Germany the students of many universities have gone on a strike to
protest against cuts of university budgets, tuition fees and - lack of
democracy. On monday, a General Assembly of students of the Freie
Universitšt Berlin (at which I'm enrolled) is going to pass a resolution
concerning the above mentioned points. I'd like to do something about
the democracy part.

At present, in all of the governinng bodies, the professors constitute
an absolute majority of the voting members. The other seats are reserved
for the three other groups: scientific assistants, other employees and
students, which thus each have about 1/6 of the seats. The draft of the
resolution that will be put to the vote on monday calls for a socalled
"quarter parity" (that means, professors, assistants, other employees
and students each elect their own representatives for 25% of the
seats.). However, this would still be undemocratic since professors make
up only 1% of the university polulation while students make up 84%.
So I'd like to propose truely democratic structures. And it would be
very helpful to have successful models to point at.

greetings from Berlin

Martin Wilke