Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] sq. feet per child

From: <Freekids_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri Nov 7 17:12:00 2003

Hi Shelley,

This is Stuart Williams from Cedarwood Sudbury School in Santa Clara, CA,
responding to your question about how many square feet per child you will need.
There is no magic number. The amount of space you will need depends on such
factors as the layout and noise characteristics of your building--and on the
noise characteristics of your students!

We currently occupy a modular building with thin walls and a lot of
unenclosed space (only 4 enclosed rooms). I think our 2,880 square foot building would
accommodate 35 students comfortably, and 40 students with some crowding. A
better-constructed building of the same size with a less-open layout (more rooms,
a smaller open area) might comfortably accommodate 50 students. These numbers
would have to be revised downward if you enrolled both noisy and quiet-loving
students, and if you were not successful at controlling the noise levels.

Good luck--

Stuart