Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] socioeconomic status of staff

From: Jesse Gallagher <fomajes_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Oct 30 17:26:01 2003

I've always liked the Albany Free School's (I think--I might have my schools mixed up) answer to the staff $$ issue. I believe they began providing cooperative housing for staff, thereby easing the financial burden on the individuals in a BIG way and still keeping school costs manageable.

I think they might run a cooperative business as well.

Let's face it--the free school model isn't going to make anybody any money and it certainly isn't going to draw funding from mainstream sources. Creativity and a willingness to shoot from the hip now and again seem to be the orders of the day.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we can't eat money.

Cree proverb