RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] socioeconomic status of staff

From: Joe Jackson <shoeless_at_jazztbone.com>
Date: Wed Oct 29 23:30:00 2003

Liz,

Again, the bottom line for us is that we are a democracy. And again, it
is possible for someone who has not had much face time in the school to
get elected. Fairhaven's last two hires did not do an internship, one
of them was working hourly at Barnes & Noble when he ran, the other has
an acupuncture practice.

So for us, with our current system, there is no economic factor at all.
Of course Fairhaven's hiring situation can change if the students and
staff decide an intern program would improve the school. Increasing
economic diversity would likely not be a factor in that decision since
the school is incredibly economically diverse.

Some schools require an internship, just as public schools that mandate
accredited teachers require an internship (aka student teaching). One
could certainly interpret that the training standards of public and
private schools are economic barriers to teaching. Of course any
profession requires training, and any training could be construed as an
economic obstacle.

I can certainly understand the frustration of someone who probably feels
like their student teaching should have satisfied the need for OTJ
training, but as I pointed out earlier, so much of university education
programs is irrelevent (or even detrimental) to the personal skills of
effective staffing in a Sudbury environment.