Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] For Elizabeth...

From: Elizabeth Marrin <e_marrin_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Oct 29 18:20:59 2003

I responded publically to Blake because I had to. There is
possibly no better school than SVS (still undiscovered to me
because I can't get in the front door). My only concern is that
while schooling is for the kids, and justly so, there are bodies
of people currently being educated and currently in schools of
education or almost about to go into schools of education
dreaming of one day being in a place like SVS. The minute
graduation occurs, after all the exerience (not that of a
parent, not that of an administrator - but that of a growing
young mind just discovering what is possible) one has, to then
knock on SVSs door (or phonecall or email, whatever/however you
do it) just to be told that 1. ya can't 2. ya can't right now 3.
ya can't because you have no money 4. ya can't because we don't
do it that way 5. ya can't because (fill in the blank)
then no matter what part of the equation you talk about, the
system has flaws.

That's why I wrote to Blake. I didn't mean to "tear down the
wall" and knock it, but I expected some sort of downpour on me.

Whatever... people will dump on me and think they know me. I
point out flaws of a system and then people dump on me. That's
life, isn't it now.

But when you, Monica, dare make an assumption about my inner
spirituality, you are making the same unjustified claims that
Joe did. You simply cannot comphrehend an entire spiritual
being through email, especially emails that have directed
complaints/problems with the system. You simply cannot judge me
on that level. And if you're putting me on trial, you're
missing the point and not discussing the issue anyway.
"Elizabeth" is not the issue, whoever you fantasize her to be.

SVS is not a "can do" when it comes to a young generation
boundless and ebullient.

And there's nothing wrong with telling someone to take the gift
of enthusiasm and passion to another area of life. SVS doesn't
have provisions to even consider a completely new kind of young
adult, one who has transitioned quickly to the place of being
ready... To prove one's self to a community without getting
paid is not a simple feat -- this flaw may eventually be
changed, but the fact that I continue to talk about it does not
mean I'm a spiritually devoid being. What kind of person would
make it personal and attack the author but not the text?

Elizabeth