Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Introverts

From: Sheila <sheran_at_ptd.net>
Date: Tue Oct 28 15:59:00 2003

I asked because I have three introverts. :) My 10 year old daughter is interested in the school but is concerned that it would be too much for her to be away from home for so long. We're unschooling and follow the exact same principles as the Sudbury academically, but without the community. She would like the community, but would prefer if it she could go 15 hours a week rather than 30. (And ours doesn't allow part time enrollment after compulsory attendance age). But I'm REALLY sensing that she needs something more in the way of interaction and she agreed to go check it out if I make her an appointment.

The fact that we're an hour's drive away adds to the time away from home.

My boys are young, 6 and 4. My 4 year old would start enjoying it pretty quickly I think, but my 6 year old very rarely wants to leave the house. He opted out of most of the activities that the other two did this month. Being in our town's Halloween parade (He didn't even want to go watch, he just wanted to stay home) and going to a corn maze with our homeschool group. He usually can handle about one out of the house activity a week. But he's young enough that they would let me enroll him part time, so he could stay home on the days my husband is home from work.

I'm afraid I'd have to drag my 6 year old to the school against his will sometimes, something I REALLY am opposed to doing. I always try my best to accommodate their desire to go or not go somewhere. And I'm afraid that we'd be committed to the year and my daughter would cry most mornings that she just wants to stay home, because while she loves social interaction, sometimes she needs a whole day off to recuperate from a day full of out of the house activities.

But maybe they would love it and if I didn't try it, they would miss out on a great opportunity.

I'll let you know how they like it after our visit. Hopefully I'll be able to make the appointment for sometime in November. :)

Sheila