Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Can a Democratic School Provide a Jewish Education?

From: David Rovner <rovners_at_netvision.net.il>
Date: Sat Oct 18 23:56:00 2003

On Friday, October 17, 2003 10:18 PM, Ardeshir Mehta wrote:

> True; but this doesn't jive with the thoughts expressed by the writer
> of the article, namely:
>
> "If, on the other hand, Jewish education is about actively promoting
> JEWISH HERITAGE AND VALUES [my emphasis- A] in children, then
> Democratic schools may give parents a fighting chance."
>
> This does not jive with "... seek not to make them like you". What if
> children born Jewish prefer to convert to Islam?

The former may be "wishful thinking," and the latter is true, for people of
all traditions.
For "tradition," the same as "Ethics," is a course taught by life
experience.

Apparently, and to our regret, it seems time has'nt arrived yet to avoid
both: When
". . . lamb will dwell with lion . . ." -- and people of all nations,
traditions
and religions will live in peace . . . and fraternity.

~ David Rovner