Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Can a Democratic School Provide a Jewish Education?

From: Carol Hughes <carolhughes1_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri Oct 17 16:11:00 2003

David,
Perhaps my perspective is a little different. I was raised in a Baptist
household. Without telling the gory details, I chose at 24 to convert to
Judiasm. In retrospect I think I wanted to get away from the religion of my
family in whatever way I could mostly. I later found that I didn't feel
able to "become" a Jew. But I will always treasure what I learned from the
experience. One thing that stands out in my mind is that over and again the
Jewish laws made terrific sense in terms of survival of life and limb and
community. In my humble opinion Judiasm comes from the traditions of life
that work to sustain family. So then, may I be permitted to connect the
dots and say that if a child is encouraged to find that same source in him
or herself, then the truthes and origins of Jewish law will once again
prevail without any outside effort at all. The lives of those around a
child will speak volumes to the value of a religion/way of thinking. If
there is not a match in the quality of life of the family that sparks a
flame, then there are no lessons on earth that will "teach" what is not
lived.
Carol Hughes

> "And he said: Your children are not your children. They are the sons and
> daughters of Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from
> you, And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you. You may
give
> them your love but not your thoughts. For they have their own thoughts.
You