Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Can a Democratic School Provide a Jewish Education?

From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri Oct 17 10:06:00 2003

On Friday, October 17, 2003, at 05:21 AM, David Rovner wrote:

> "The question remains whether it is possible to reconcile the rabbinic
> injunctions to 'teach your child' with the Democratic school's motto
> of 'let them be'."
>
> "It is this trust that can produce children who study when they get
> bored, instead of children who get bored of their studies."
>
> Read this interesting article posted in the Jerusalem Democratic
> School website:
>
> Can a Democratic School Provide a Jewish Education?
>
> http://jdemschool.tripod.com/aricle12jewishedu.htm

The article concludes:

[QUOTE]

Democratic education compels parents and educators to let go of the
illusion that they control children's minds. If Jewish education is
about holding on to this illusion, then no, Democratic schools will not
provide this type of education. If, on the other hand, Jewish education
is about actively promoting Jewish heritage and values in children,
then Democratic schools may give parents a fighting chance.

Democratic schools are proactive in their approach to education, but
they replace the cries of 'teach them, teach them' with exhortations to
'trust them, trust them'. It is this trust that can produce children
who study when they get bored, instead of children who get bored of
their studies. It is this tolerance that can produce children who
respect themselves and go on to respect others. It is in this
atmosphere of freedom that Torah will survive as our children find
intrinsic meaning in its words.

May we all merit to raise children occupied in Torah and mitzvot.

[END QUOTE]

I wonder what the writer might say if, after the children are "trusted,
trusted and trusted", a whole lot of them end up, as adults, thinking
exactly like Karl Marx or Lev Davidovich Bronstein (i.e., Leon Trotsky).

Genuine trust requires the ability to allow and even encourage one's
children to think for themselves *even* if the things they end up
thinking are exactly the opposite of one's own most cherished beliefs.
Otherwise it's merely sham trust.

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/AllMyFiles.html>