RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Advice

From: Joe Jackson <shoeless_at_jazztbone.com>
Date: Mon Sep 22 10:17:00 2003

Terri,

In our school, the School Meeting would be the body to decide that such
a thing like chores is necessary, and appoint a person/persons who would
see to it that the action is carried out.

Then the person/persons responsible for seeing to it that chores are
carried out well and completely would act in the best interest of it
happening.

While I would argue in School Meeting that it is a rather significant
"problem" that the chores are not being completed on time or at all, I
do not believe in our school that the issue needs to get to School
Meeting at all. It is up to the person/persons who are clerking the
process to design it so it works.

And then I told you my "design" suggestion; I'm sure there are many
other ways to address it. I'm not sure if you have a tool such as JC to
allow the community to present the opportunity for students to come
directly face-to-face with their behavior as it has impacted the school.
It works well for us.

By the way, I heard you in another post expressing your staff's desire
to combat the perceptions of students (in such a young culture) that the
staff is "really in charge" or that "this is some kind of joke, and just
when you think you have power we're gonna GET YOU!!!". I want you to
know that this is really admirable and I acknowledge you for being in
tune with this.

But I invite you to try on the concept that this prejudice about schools
and the role of adults in their lives is *their* story, and only *they*
can stop listening to the interpretation they are operating with.

Whether these "stories" are historically correct or not is irrelevent -
they can only learn to live in the here and now based on what's REALLY
going on if the culture is incredibly, extraordinarily AUTHENTIC.

Where I am leading is that in our school, we say students are 100% the
equal of adults in the operation and ownership of the school. The
EQUAL, not MORE powerful, or LESS powerful - the equal. And our school
is only as good as the integrity of our word.

So that is why in our school staff do such a wonderful job of expressing
and leading and following and *being a culture* with our students -
because that statement, "A school run democratically by students and
adults" is SO powerful, but it is only powerful if our words have
integrity. And if staff back off and try to become less than *equal*
members of the culture, we are not standing true to ourselves.

I hope this sheds some light on how we do things, of course there are
many, many ways to do it and I am certain that your culture will find a
way and be wonderful.

Respectfully,

Joe Jackson, Parent
Fairhaven School