Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] cleaning . . . for Terry

From: Alan Klein <alan_at_klein.net>
Date: Sat Sep 20 18:29:01 2003

LOL!

I am reminded of the early 1980's, a few years after we had founded The Highland School, a democratically run school in West Virginia. We had never heard of Sudbury Valley School, but I ran across an article by Peter Gray (Scott David's father) about the school. We had an extended phone conversation while preparing for a visit I was going to make to SVS. While I had not read any of Dan Greenburg's books and had only Peter's article to go on, I knew we had found a "sister school".

The most burning question I asked Peter was, "How do you handle cleaning up at SVS?"

He laughed and said, "It is so refreshing to hear you ask that! The usual questions are about why classes aren't mandatory and picayune things like that. You are asking about the really important stuff!"

~Alan Klein