[Discuss-sudbury-model] cleaning . . . for Terry

From: David Rovner <rovners_at_netvision.net.il>
Date: Sat Sep 20 17:58:00 2003

Hi Terri,
I want to remind you two places where Daniel Greenberg tells us about the subject.

Maybe you read "Free at Last" ?
If you have, or if you haven't, let me bring two places where Daniel Greenberg tells us about the subject.

How Daniel Greenberg puts it ?:

One is "The School Meeting":
". . . Some strange regulations find their way into the code from time to time. Early on, people were dropping papers and trash all over the campus, and we struggled with a way to keep it clean. As the debate went on, it became clear that some people cared a lot more about the problem than others. There was no obvious way to force the slobs to yield the field to the aesthetics tastes of the fussy ones. Finally, Jack proposed a solution: 'Let them that litter, litter; let them that pick up, pick up.' Laissez-faire at its extreme. A weary meeting adopted the aphorism, and the rule stayed on the books for two years until the slobs gave in . . ."

The second piece, "Cleaning," tells us the saga.
The second piece, "Cleaning," is a long one, and it's protected by Copyrights. So I suggest you to take a look at its source.
Maybe just a small excerpt to feel the spirit:
And it starts,
"Over the years, no mundane problem has occupied the school more than cleaning . . ."

 So I suggest you to take a look at the source.

Lot's of luck,
~ David