[Discuss-sudbury-model] Queensland Board decides to withdraw Booroobin's accreditation as a School

From: Derek Sheppard / The Booroobin Sudbury School <derek.sheppard_at_booroobinschool.com.au>
Date: Thu Sep 4 02:55:01 2003

Hi all,

The Queensland Non-State Schools Accreditation Board has decided that our accreditation will be withdrawn.

The Booroobin Sudbury School - a centre of learning is the only democratic School in Australia. Nothing raised by the Board has stopped any of our Students learning the things they need to know or undertaking tertiary studies or getting jobs. Our parents (with the exception of one non-custodial father), students and staff support the School, and have written accordingly.

We will fight this, and we know it won't be easy or nice.

Under the relevant (new) legislation, the Education (Accreditation of Non-State Schools) Act 2001, which came into effect from January 1, 2002, we can now request a Review of the Board's decision by the Queensland State Minister for Education, the Hon Anna Bligh. This must be lodged no later than September 22. The Minister can make a decision, or refer the matter back to the Board, with directions. If this request to Review does not succeed, we will need to somehow resort to legal action, even if we present our own case. And we will live on, no matter what the result is.

The grounds are the same as previously advised, which, in summary are:
  a.. The School is not complying with the Act and Regulations 7 (1) (a) (b) and (c) which requires the school to:- have a written program that has regard to ages, abilities, aptitudes and development of Students; have a written educational program that promotes continuity in learning experiences; have a written program that is responsive to the needs of students
  b.. The School is not complying with Regulations 7 (2) (a) and (b) which requires the School's written program to enable Students to at least achieve:- Queensland standards of learning; standards of learning comparable to Queensland standards of learning
  c.. The School is not complying with Regulations 8 (a) and (b) which requires the School to:- identify Students who are persons with a disability; have written processes about devising a written program for Students with disabilities
  d.. The School is not complying with Regulation 10 requiring the School to have written processes about appropriate conduct of staff and students in accordance with legislation about the care or protection of children.
We will soon add the scanned documents to our web site.

The Board made no reference to any of the parent/s' submissions; the staff / registered teacher/s' submissions; the psychologist's report; the actual things that Students did at School in the last year; the details of research about how people learn; or the School's Natural Learning Curricula (entirely about self directed, natural learning) written in 1999 at the behest of and approved by the Queensland State government. All of these were set aside, in favour of the new legislation, as I expected.

There is significant print, radio and now television media interest in what is happening to us. Next week on September 10 and 11, Students, staff, parents, relatives and friends will participate in the "Great Booroobin to Brisbane 100k's Walk". The walk will conclude at Queensland's Parliament House in Brisbane. There, we will deliver copies of letters of support and a Petition. It is also a fundraiser, and sponsorships are actively being sought.

We now need support. We appreciate the letters that have been written to date. All letters appear in the "Communiqués" section of our web site. We ask that you all now consider writing letters and placing entries in our web site Guestbook, and asking people of all ages, academics, lawyers, schools, associations who have an interest in human rights, freedom and democracy to also write. Please copy letters to the School. Please also send letters to the following: Hon Peter Beattie MP, Premier of Queensland ThePremier@premiers.qld.gov.au ; Hon Anna Bligh MP, Minister for Education education@ministerial.qld.gov.au ; Senior Policy Advisor, Murray Watt murray.watt@ministerial.qld.gov.au ; The Australian newspaper letters@theaustralian.com.au ; Courier Mail newspaper (Queensland only) fagand@qnp.newsltd.com.au ; The Sunshine Coast Daily (Sunshine Coast only) http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/main/editorial.html ; Joel Dullroy, Schools reporter, the Courier Mail dullroyj@qnp.newsltd.com.au ; Anna Reynolds, Perspectives editor reynoldsa@qnp.newsltd.com.au ; Phillip Adams of the ABC: philadams@ozemail.com.au ; Michael Lund and Pam O'Brien producers of the ABC Local Radio Morning Program: Lund.Michael@abc.net.au and O'Brien.Pam@abc.net.au; Editor of the Sunshine Coast Daily: editorial@scnews.com.au

In addition, the following online Petition is available for signing: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/408446208 Please tell as many people about it as possible.

The more letters and petition signatures, the better. We are entering an 8 months run down to an election, which this government is likely to win, but with a reduced majority. We have a populist Premier.

Regards, Derek
The Booroobin Sudbury School - a centre of learning
Ph +61 07 5499 9944 Fax +61 07 3251 0470
Homestay Boarding Accommodation
Ph +61 07 5499 9943