Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Learning to think.

From: Richard Berlin <rberlin_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Wed Sep 3 20:35:00 2003

[My previous message may not have gotten thru...? Oh well.]

> There is no need for anyone else to duplicate what Sudbury is doing. I
> think
> it is doing something wonderful for students, and parents have that
> option.
> I am all for choice! Of course, we can't duplicate what you are
> doing, and
> why should we, if it is already available. But, we CAN improve things
> for
> those who are limited to public/compulsory education by implementing
> some of
> the strategies that are part of the Sudbury model. No, it won't make
> it into
> a Sudbury school, but it might help some students who wouldn't have
> had a
> very meaningful education to have a better experience. Some parents
> are
> never going to send their children to a private school, and those who
> don't
> have that privilege deserve the best the state can offer. The best any
> society can offer is FREEDOM of choice in institutions that affect our
> personal lives, whether that be education, religion or politics. Even
> the
> very best system can soon become oppressive or corrupted if it becomes
> the
> only option available. True freedom is only ever true freedom when we
> have
> the option to choose an alternative way. I hope Sudbury models
> continue to
> grow and become a much more available option for everyone who wants to
> go to
> a Sudbury school. But, I also hope State schools will be able to more
> effectively cater for those who don't go to a Sudbury school. We both
> want
> the same outcomes for our students.

This all seems predicated on the assumption that being "private" is
an essential feature of the Sudbury model. But I see no reason that
public students shouldn't have access to Sudbury schools. In fact, I
believe there *is* a need for dedicated souls to duplicate the Sudbury
model in the public sphere. "Human rights only for those who can
pay for them" is not human rights at all.

If you "of course...can't duplicate what [Sudbury] is doing," then
I think the most instructive question to ask is "Why not?"

-- Rich