Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Learning to think.

From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed Sep 3 17:56:00 2003

Hi all,

On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 05:04 PM, Ann Ide wrote:

> For years, I worked at the college level working with students
> struggling
> with their studies. I taught them "how to learn". The program was
> modelled
> after successful learners. What we did, essentially, was "re-teach"
> learning strategies that come naturally to people if not interfered
> with.

Those who have seen the original Matrix will remember, no doubt, that
Morpheus tells Neo:

<< You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and
you believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill and you
stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. >>

There are, indeed, two pills - in real life: this is no movie. You take
the blue pill and the story ends. You wake up in your bed and you
believe whatever you want to believe. About the USA, about 9/11, about
Relativity, about Goedel's Theorem, about Sudbury, about right and
wrong, about a whole lot of things. You take the red pill and you learn
how deep the rabbit-hole - the deception all around us - really goes.

The blue pill is the media and the standard stuff taught in schools and
universities. You read, listen to and view all this stuff, the story
ends. You wake up the next day and believe whatever you want to
believe. It's the easy way out.

Taking the blue pill is a lot harder. You have to actively search for
the truth, and that takes time and commitment. But there are plenty of
people willing to point you in the right direction. I'm willing to do
that myself. So are many others. Once the way is pointed out to you,
and you follow it, taking the time and making the effort, you discover
that the rabbit hole goes very deep indeed.

A real Thinker takes the red pill. Once s/he takes the red pill, it
doesn't even matter whether s/he takes the blue pill as well, or not!
Indeed a real Thinker takes *both* pills. The blue pill is a placebo;
it does nothing. The red pill is the only active one.

You want the blue pill? It's out there, easily accessible: indeed you
can hardly get away from it.

You want the red pill? You have to work for it. But people are willing
to help you take the red pill!

Ardeshir Mehta,
Ottawa, Canada

Home Page <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/AllMyFiles.html>