Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Teacher model

From: Bruce Smith <bsmith_at_coin.org>
Date: Wed Sep 3 17:40:01 2003

I last taught in the public system in 1996. I finished my teacher training
in 1991. I'm positive that somewhere in there, I also heard the "guide on
the side" image touted as a model for us to follow. And nothing changed,
and as far as I can tell, since I keep up, more or less, on that district,
nothing substantial has changed. In my experience, such things are
sickeningly cute, virtually empty, phrases -- worth nothing, save perhaps
to inspire yet another Sisyphus to feel better about rolling his or her
boulder; or an eyedropper to squirt a few drops on a raging inferno, if I
can squeeze two metaphors into one sentence. :-)

I think what the use of such phrases shows is that in many sectors, a
clever turn of phrase is the extent of education "reform."

Bruce