Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Learning to think.

From: Helena Chester <hchester_at_winnet.com.au>
Date: Wed Sep 3 15:38:07 2003

Joe

There is no need for anyone else to duplicate what Sudbury is doing. I think
it is doing something wonderful for students, and parents have that option.
I am all for choice! Of course, we can't duplicate what you are doing, and
why should we, if it is already available. But, we CAN improve things for
those who are limited to public/compulsory education by implementing some of
the strategies that are part of the Sudbury model. No, it won't make it into
a Sudbury school, but it might help some students who wouldn't have had a
very meaningful education to have a better experience. Some parents are
never going to send their children to a private school, and those who don't
have that privilege deserve the best the state can offer. The best any
society can offer is FREEDOM of choice in institutions that affect our
personal lives, whether that be education, religion or politics. Even the
very best system can soon become oppressive or corrupted if it becomes the
only option available. True freedom is only ever true freedom when we have
the option to choose an alternative way. I hope Sudbury models continue to
grow and become a much more available option for everyone who wants to go to
a Sudbury school. But, I also hope State schools will be able to more
effectively cater for those who don't go to a Sudbury school. We both want
the same outcomes for our students.