Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Learning to think.

From: <carolhughes1_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed Sep 3 15:34:01 2003

Hi Helena,
My oldest of three who is now 25, is vocal and a strong personality. I
discussed with his pediatrician what I should do about the fact that at
three if there was a group of children in the playground invariably my son
would take charge, get the best toy, etc. He said, the children of this
world who were not assertive would have to learn to deal with people like
my son and it would be impossible to get into this mix a little bit. It
was a characteristic of him and life. I took his advice and have seen
exactly what he said happen. By the way, my son is very considerate, kind
and caring. I often see the notion of democracy being given the task of
making everyone's experience "equal". This is not possible or desirable in
my opinion. To learn to be okay when things are not okay is one of the
fundamental strengths of a child-driven experience. In my experience, the
person who "just goes along" will eventually find a place that they
absolutely will not go along. When they do, and they do it on their own,
it's fabulous.
Carol Hughes (mother of three sudbury grown children)