Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] New York state sudbury schools

From: Jeff Collins <jcollins_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Sun Aug 24 09:56:00 2003

Hi Lorraine,

It is very possible to start a Sudbury school in NY. In fact there are
two Sudbury schools in NY, us www.hudsonvalleyschool.org and Longview
(www.longviewschool.org). The requirements you read only apply to
public schools and home schoolers. They do not apply to private
schools.

In order to start a non-profit private school in NY you have to be
granted a Regent's Charter (not to be confused with Charter Schools).
The Regent's Charter is granted by the NYS Board of Regents. In the
first few years of the school, you will probably be given a Provisional
Charter and have to re-apply every year. At some point (I am told) you
get a real charter and no longer have to apply every year.

Most of the questions that you need to answer on the Regents Charter
Application are innocuous. The only one that caused us any thought was
"Describe your Curriculum" (or something like that). We answered this
question by providing a 10 page, two column list of all of the subjects
that our students "might" learn. This list included all of the things
the state would like us to teach, including "citizenship" and "why
communist economies are doomed to failure".

The school you may be referring to in Albany might be the Albany Free
School. They are a democratic school, but not a Sudbury school.

If you do decide to start a Sudbury school in Ithaca, I will more than
happy to lend you what ever assistance you need. I grew up near Ithaca,
my family still lives there and I think it would be a great place for a
Sudbury school.

Jeff
Hudson Valley Sudbury School

--