Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Mentoring

From: Helena Chester <hchester_at_winnet.com.au>
Date: Thu Aug 21 14:10:01 2003

Hi Bruce

Thank you for the welcome and the response to my question on mentoring.

I teach in a state school in Tasmania and we are in the process of
implementing an approach to education that fosters the creativity and
uniqueness of the individual through open ended "projects".

I am also contemplating a Master of Education (Honours) by research focus,
and I want to do it in an area related to democratic classrooms and
mentoring by peers as well as adults. I can relate to what you are saying
about not "assigning" mentors, but I also feel that just as cooperative and
collaborative working skills need to be taught (even to adults), generic
mentoring skills need to be taught to make the best use of everyone's
personal resources. And because I want my students to be part of a
self-managed classroom, I want them to have the opportunity to learn these
skills, just as I value any professional development I am offered.

I look forward to more interaction on this, as well as issues such as
developing and respecting boundaries, and accountability.

I liked your quote from John Shelby Spong. He is one of my favourite
authors.

Sincerely
Helena