Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] New to the list

From: A&A Mitter-Burke <aamb_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon Aug 18 14:44:00 2003

Hey Christel--

Saw your post and wanted to throw my two bits in. My first advice is to
follow your gut. If your gut says to go with this philosophy then do it.
And then trust your child.

I started a Sudbury school and have worked at SVS for the last three years
as a staff person. My kids (3) have only gone to an SVS school their whole
life and they are incredible people. My oldest son left this year and went
into ninth grade to pursue his passion for sports--he's a three sports guy.
For what it's worth he got all A's and B's and slipped right into
school--this was a kid that read at 12. My daughter is passionate about
dance, art, reading--and pursues them all with gusto at SVS. My youngest
son loves to be outside, play Magic and hang out with his friends--he also
pursues these things with gusto. They are all confident and thriving.

The thing that I always cherish is that I know my kids are who they are--and
that is a precious commodity. They are not forced to bend and conform, they
just spend their days pursuing their interests and thus just stay busy being
themselves!

Andrea