Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Underground History of American Education

From: Heidi Crane <bunsofaluminum60_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon Jul 7 23:01:00 2003

Hi David

It was this passages in Underground History that 1)brought me to the SVS
website and 2) helped me to relax about my "late starting reader" Katie, who
is almost nine, and not reading yet. If there were a way to duplicate
Sudbury at home, I would be the happiest homeschooling mom in the world! As
it is, I've wandered way over to unschooling and am watching and waiting to
see where my kids' own brains take them!

HeidiC

>From: "David Rovner" <rovners_at_netvision.net.il>
>To: <discuss-sudbury-model_at_sudval.org>
>Subject: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Underground History of American Education
>Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 23:03:00 +0200
>
>The Sudbury Valley School
>http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/3d.htm
>
>I know a school for kids ages three to eighteen that doesnít teach anybody
>to read, yet everyone who goes there learns to do it, most very well. Itís
>the beautiful Sudbury Valley School, twenty miles west of Boston in the old
>Nathaniel Bowditch "cottage" (which looks suspiciously like a mansion), a
>place ringed by handsome outbuildings, a private lake, woods, and acres of
>magnificent grounds. Sudbury is a private school, but with a tuition under
>$4,000 a year itís considerably cheaper than a seat in a New York City
>public school. At Sudbury kids teach themselves to read; they learn at many
>different ages, even into the teen years (though thatís rare). When each
>kid is ready he or she self-instructs, if such a formal label isnít
>inappropriate for such a natural undertaking. During this time they are
>free to request as much adult assistance as needed. That usually isnít
>much.
>In thirty years of operation, Sudbury has never had a single kid who didnít
>learn to read. All this is aided by a magnificent school library on open
>shelves where books are borrowed and returned on the honor system. About 65
>percent of Sudbury kids go on to good colleges. The place has never seen a
>case of dyslexia. (Thatís not to say some kids donít reverse letters and
>such from time to time, but such conditions are temporary and
>self-correcting unless institutionalized into a disease.) So Sudbury
>doesnít even teach reading yet all its kids learn to read and even like
>reading. What could be going on there that we donít understand?
>
>~ David

http://hillermethod.com/bunso
Lose Weight Without Dieting!
Check out The Hiller Method!