Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Update on threat to withdraw Booroobin's accreditation

From: The Booroobin Sudbury School / Derek Sheppard <derek.sheppard_at_booroobinschool.com.au>
Date: Tue Jun 17 10:39:00 2003

Hi Carol,

Thanks for your continuing interest and ready offer of support.

I had heard vaguely of the case.

In light of your comments, and partly because I'm working long hours on this stupid submission (which also means that I am not at School), you might be intrigued to know that the equally stupid 2002 legislation that is now being effectively retrospectively applied to us, actually states that we must comply with "Queensland standards of learning".

Interestingly, one of our Staff, a Queensland registered teacher, happened to need to earn some money and went to a couple of State Schools, this week. While there, he asked 2 Principals and also teaching Staff what these standards are, and they had no idea. Our research shows that, as recently as July 2001, the Director of the Queensland Board of Secondary School Studies and another Staff, delivered a paper to a conference of curriculum authorities that questioned such standards are possible and not then realistic. And that was at Director level then. Knowing the processes of implementation and then filtering before a directive or even such a notion reaches principals and teachers at the coalface, it's impossible that "Queensland standards of learning" is anything more than a figment of someone's imagination, let alone a reality. And there's even more gems like this in the assessors' report.

The more I write, and the more we discuss this amongst ourselves and with others, the more ludicrous it all is.

Regards, Derek
The Booroobin Sudbury School - a centre of learning
www.booroobinschool.com.au
Ph +61 07 5499 9944 Fax +61 07 3251 0470
Homestay boarding accommodation
Ph +61 07 5499 9943