Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Indigo Children

From: Joseph Roach <josroach_at_email.com>
Date: Mon Jun 16 22:10:00 2003

Hello Faye!

Be cautious, very cautious.

This kind of "movement" springs from two distinct wishes every parent has:

1. that their child (or children) is special and different in a significant way;

2. that their child deserves to be treated with respect and taken seriously as a human being.

These wishes are natural for any parent -- but somewhat akin to the prejudice I had that my children
were all the prettiest in their group.

Frankly, I distrust the spiritualism and pseudo-science involved in this movement. The claim that this
"label" is as scientific or as true as such "labels" as Down Syndrome or ADD is wishful thinking. I have to
reject, out of hand, this kind of cheapening of human intellect and speech. Does someone want to
seriously suggest that Down Syndrome is not a serious complex of conditions with a genetic basis?

All children (and every person for that matter) is an individual and important, and therefore deserves
respect. I do not need any other mystic explanations for why children should be treated well.

Best regards,

Joe Roach

The New School
Newark, DE