Re: FW: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Indigo Children

From: R FAYE BYREM <fbyrem_at_msn.com>
Date: Mon Jun 9 23:49:00 2003

Hi Carol,

I agree with yours and Karen's assessment of those appalling comments.

I detest labels also. But I wonder if it's actually possible to live without them in the context of society as a whole. I mean, how do we identify with a nameless pattern in a certain segment of society? What should we call say, Autism? Or should we just not call it anything at all. Or any mental illness. Or any number of things where we have identified certain patterns in a segment of society that has far-reaching implications for so many human beings?

On a personal level, far too many are 'branded' with a label that can follow them throughout their lives, which is a terrible injustice, whether it is the stigma of 'gifted' or 'trouble-maker' or whatever it may be. Labels bring with them unfair and unrealistic expectations.

Labels encourage 'comparisons' of souls, which brings 'judgment' upon souls....if one is special, that means another one isn't....which shouldn't be.

As I've read more about Indigo Children, I'm finding what to me seems some rather bizarre ideas. It doesn't necessarily mean they ARE bizarre, but they are to my way of thinking.

Nevertheless, the little research I've done has enlightened me a great deal about many things. Not the least of which is that my child is not so unusual in the grand scheme of things. To me, that was a very valuable discovery.

When I first stumbled across the term "Indigo Children", and began reading, I began seeing some very familiar personality traits repeated over and over again. I was naturally very interested and excited to find that there are so many other children with the same traits.

I wasn't trying to find a 'box' to fit my child into, but rather, I was seeking answers to some very perplexing problems that I've encountered, and haven't been able to find a comfortable place to lay these concerns to rest.

I think what researching this has done for me is to give focus to what I already knew about my child. It gave me a comfortable place to 'rest', and 'breathe' and gave me the freedom to 'release' some things that needed to be released. Now, we can continue on in a new phase of our journey together.

Nothing has changed. And yet, in some ways, everything has changed. He and I are the same. But we are now on a much freer path.

Maybe we would have found this same freedom in some other way. But we didn't. We found it by the label 'Indigo Children' jumping off a page at me, and causing me to wonder, to seek, and to find.