RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] New to Sudbury-Cottage Grove, OR

From: Joseph Moore <joseph_at_ivorycc.com>
Date: Thu May 29 17:13:00 2003

At DVS (and, I believe, most Sudbury schools) the student is expected to be
at school some state-mandated number of hours a day (4, I think), but
exactly when within the 8:00 - 5:00 hours is flexible.

As far as a month off for vacations, the Moore family is planning one of
those this year with a month-long trip in November. But note: in 6+ years at
DVS, this will be the first time the kids have been out for more than a day
or two on family leave, and we're unlikely to do it again anytime soon. Some
schools, if I'm remembering correctly, have had issues with students and
families who repeatedly take long vacations during the school year - it's
that whole issue with being there enough to be a real part of the community.

Joseph