Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] New to Sudbury-Cottage Grove, OR

From: Alan Klein <alan_at_klein.net>
Date: Thu May 29 16:43:01 2003

Marilu,

I agree with what Mike says here and add one clarification that is probably
so engrained in you, Mike, that it went without saying. I suspect, however,
that for some newcomers to democratic schooling, it is not so evident.

You said, "And if it can't find an answer to this question that is
legitimate (to the School), it might take steps to disenroll the
individual." It is vital to remember, Marilu, that "the School", in
democratic schools, refers to the entire student and staff group as embodied
in the School Meeting. "The School" is NOT a bureaucratic or dictatorial
entity separate and apart from the students and staff.

~Alan Klein